We respect the intrinsic value of animals, people and the environment. We respect organizations with which we interact and strive to demonstrate respect in all our actions.
We show compassion when dealing with animals and people at all times, especially when they are in distress.
We work cooperatively in a spirit of collaboration with individuals and organizations to protect, promote and enhance the well-being of animals, people and the environment.
We stress the responsibility of humans to ensure the welfare of all animals, especially those in their care.
We ensure stewardship of the reputation and resources of the Alberta SPCA. We strive to balance available resources with realistic and positive outcomes for animals, people and the environment.
We are progressive, seeking innovative ways to promote and improve the well-being of animals, people and the environment.
We demonstrate trustworthiness by honouring our commitments and developing our competencies. We conduct ourselves with integrity when dealing with animals, people and the environment.
Our Core Beliefs
We believe …
- All animals should have their basic needs met, which include:
- Freedom from thirst and hunger
- Freedom from discomfort
- Freedom from pain, injury and disease
- Freedom to express normal behaviour
- Freedom from distress
- The Five Freedoms of Animal Welfare are supported by the Five Domains:
- Mental State
- Animals are sentient beings that can experience distress, including pain and sickness.
- Individuals have an ethical, moral and legal duty to care for animals.
- Standards of animal care and welfare should be based on sound science as well as societal values.
- The well-being of animals, people and the environment are inter-related.
- People who mistreat or neglect animals must be held accountable.
- In providing leadership in positive animal welfare and protection of animals.
- Our decisions should be based on the best available knowledge, which we gather by study, research, investigation, observation and/or experience.
- Humane education fosters empathy and respect for all living things.
- In developing and delivering methods of education and communication that increase people’s understanding of their responsibility for the welfare of animals.
- Educating animal owners of their responsibility for the health and wellness of animals is an effective means to promote positive animal welfare.