Reporting to the Director of Advancement, the Advancement Officer contributes to the growth and sustainability of the Alberta SPCA. They are an experienced fundraiser who engages with donors to cultivate relationships and solicit donations. This position is also responsible for ensuring all donors are appropriately stewarded throughout their donor journey with the Alberta SPCA.
Duties, Responsibilities and Deadlines
- Builds positive relationships with donors and stakeholders and ensures they are engaged through consistent and effective communications.
- Manages a portfolio of donors and prospects, including in-person and telephone meetings, electronic, and written communication.
- Develops and executes strategies for making successful corporate, mid-level and major gift solicitations.
- Supports the Director of Advancement and Executive Director in engaging and stewarding donors.
- Creates and edits stewardship reports, fundraising and cultivation materials. Collaborates with stakeholders and internal staff on the creation of timely and personalized donor-centered stewardship content that highlights impact and gratitude.
- Continually updates and maintains accurate and confidential donor/member information in the Alberta SPCA’s Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) software in accordance with established policies and procedures and in collaboration with Fund Development team members.
- Promotes the role, function, and mission of the Alberta SPCA, and creates and maintains a positive awareness with the general public.
- Carries out all duties in a professional manner and in accordance with the philosophy and operating policies of the Alberta SPCA.
- Adheres to Alberta SPCA ethical fundraising policies and procedures, Canada Revenue Agency regulations, and Alberta Gaming Liquor & Cannabis regulations. Adheres to all cash management policies and processes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Job Requirements
- A minimum of 3 years experience in a fundraising role.
- Post-secondary education in marketing, communication, business, or a related field is preferred.
- Experience with mid-level and major gift fundraising preferred.
- Proven success with donor prospecting, relations, stewardship and recognition
- Experience managing a donor pipeline
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal, with an emphasis on customer service and donor relations.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office and a solid understanding of CRM databases is required; experience with The Raiser’s Edge is an asset.
- Proficiency using digital fundraising software, email marketing software and social media platforms considered an asset.
- Highly organized with keen attention to detail and an ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously.
- Self-directed in their work, with a capacity to take direction and work collaboratively as part of a team.
- A high level of integrity and commitment to fundraising ethics.
- Commitment to the vision and mission of the Alberta SPCA
- Possession of a valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s licence with access to a vehicle.
- Clear Criminal Record Check
Work is performed in an office environment and requires the ability to operate standard office equipment and keyboards.
While performing job duties, employees may be exposed to the following:
- Mostly sedentary office work.
- Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- Occasional travel (e.g., delivering and picking up materials).
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. Any employee is expected to willingly assist a coworker when requested. Furthermore, employees are expected to act in the best interest of the society as a whole, even if doing so requires actions or responsibilities not listed in the above job description. This document is subject to revision by management when client needs and patient-services requirements change.
How to apply:
Please send resume and cover letter to Aimee Winegarden at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your interest in joining the Alberta SPCA team. Only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.