The Alberta Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Alberta SPCA) is a registered charity dedicated to the welfare of animals. We encourage the humane treatment of animals through enforcement of animal protection legislation and through education programs throughout Alberta.
The Alberta SPCA has been at the forefront of animal welfare advances since being established in 1959. We were instrumental in establishing the Animal Protection Act of Alberta in 1967, which is among the best animal protection legislation in Canada. We work closely with other agencies in animal welfare, agriculture, education, violence prevention and other areas to provide the best level of protection for animals.
The Alberta SPCA is a charitable organization governed by a volunteer board of directors. We operate with the support of our members, donors, volunteers and the public who report suspected animal abuse and neglect. All donations to the Alberta SPCA are used to support our programs in Alberta.
Vision and Mission
The vision of the Alberta SPCA is that every animal in Alberta is treated humanely.
Our mission is to protect, promote and enhance the well-being of animals in Alberta. To accomplish this, there must be acceptance that humans are responsible for the welfare of animals, and there must be an understanding of the physical and behavioural needs of animals.
Animals are sentient beings that can experience distress, including pain, sickness and stress. The Alberta SPCA believes humans have a duty to
- accept responsibility for the welfare of animals in their control or custody
- protect animals from distress and ensure their welfare
- relieve or minimize distress to any animal whenever it occurs
- use animals only in ways that protect them from distress
- keep, maintain and transport animals safely, in a manner appropriate to the species, and protected from distress
- ensure that, if animals must be killed, the method of killing produces a humane death and is appropriate to the species
These guiding principles are further elaborated in our position statements. In all instances, the position of the Alberta SPCA focuses on responsible animal ownership, the quality of life and a humane death afforded to animals by humans.
Charitable Registration #122554488RR0001